JUNE 15th, 2018
6pm - 11pm
1923 Fernwood Rd
Fernwood Community Association
Rose Henry Birthday Celebration!
On June 15th, Rose Henry is turning 60! and we are celebrating her life and her many gifts and contributions to others and the social and environmental justice community over these many years.
Please join Rose and friends for a potluck feast and evening of song, dance, stories, open mic and friendship at 6-11 pm at the Paul Phllips Memorial Hall, 1923 Fernwood Rd. Victoria, on unceded Lekwungen territory.
For current details visit:
What's next for stopping the Trans Mountain pipeline?In light of the federal buyout, our core organizing group is taking some time to strategize for the long hot summer ahead.
But don't wait for us! Here are some things you can do:
- Protect the Inlet needs volunteers and bold action takers. Sign up at protectheinlet.ca. If you need help getting to Burnaby Mountain you can try organizing a car pool from Victoria on our facebook group
- Support Camp Cloud at 8099 Shellmont St.
- Call Trudeau at 1 613-992-4211 to tell him what you think of the buyout.
- Come out to this art and music fundraiser for Islanders arrested on Burnaby Mountain on June 30th.
- Get some friends together and plan your own action!
Stay tuned for more updates & see you in the streets!
Rise & Resist
SEA Door to Door Canvassing Pilot ProjectAt our May meeting, we received approval to forge ahead with a pilot project for July and August whereby SEA would offer a very small team of members, supporters and/or allies a paid opportunity to canvass door to door for the causes that mean the most to us. The canvassing team would receive specialized training from the project’s coordinator, a longtime canvasser in the community. Canvassers would be equipped with maps, a binder, receipt book and all the knowhow necessary to ensure this project is a success and becomes a stable source of funding and outreach for local grassroots eco-socialism and Indigenous solidarity.
The ‘pitch’ at the door:
- Requesting financial support for ongoing grassroots campaigns (fish farms out, pipeline resistance, farmland protection, peace and disarmament, Indigenous solidarity), and events/panel discussions endorsed by SEA (eventually we could offer incentives for donating - discounts, giveaways, contests, flash drive with additional info/resources/links/ebooks/podcasts)
- Requesting signatures for petitions
- Educating people on the issues
- Promoting events and inviting people to them
- Collecting emails and contact info for SEA eblasts
Approximately 4-5 canvassers working Monday - Thursday. 6 pm to 8:30 pm are optimal hours.
Canvassers would act as private contractors and would receive remuneration based on a standard commission-based model:
50% to canvassers, 10% to canvasser coordinator, 40% to SEA
We would like to arrange a small meeting for those who would be interested in learning more and/or participating in this project as canvassers.
Visit or Volunteer with the Better Transit Alliance at Car Free DayJune 17th, 2018
11 AM - 6 PM
On Sunday June 17th (Father’s Day) the Better Transit Alliance will be at Car Free Day on Douglas Street in Downtown Victoria. We would love to have you drop by and chat any time between 11am and 6pm. And we would love it even more if you could volunteer to help out for a few hours. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us at bettertransityyj [at] gmail.com. It is fun, and no experience necessary! (The Better Transit Alliance is an all-volunteer organization, without volunteer energy we would not exist).
Victoria Street Ruckus for Wild Salmon!June 18th, 2018
Wharf St and Government St
Victoria Tourism Centre
The Indigenous-led struggle to protect Wild Salmon from the ravages of the open-net pen aquaculture industry is reaching a head this June 20th, when the provincial tenures on 20 of the 22 fish farms in the Broughton archipelago are scheduled to expire.
Salmon protectors of the Namgis and Musgamag'w nations who have diligently occupied fish farms over the last year to enforce their eviction from their territories where they have operated for thirty years without consent, deserve our support at this critical moment!
So please join Ernest Alfred and other Salmon warriors in Victoria's city streets to let John Horgan know that these tenures must be revoked, if Wild Salmon are to survive the impacts these disease-ridden Atlantic salmon feedlots are having on native salmon populations.
Open-net pen fish farms are an ecological and human rights calamity that must be stopped, for all we love about this coast, for all that depends on wild salmon!
So on Monday, June 18th, 4:30 pm, Victoria Tourism Centre, Wharf and Government St. please march with us and tell your friends, family and co-workers too!
For updated details visit the
Poverty Inc Thurs, June 21st, 2018
2994 Douglas St